A data center technician is a skilled hands-on professional who provides services to the companies data center. Data Center Technicians are working with servers, firewalls, routers, switches, monitors, and supporting components like backup equipment, fire suppression facilities, and air conditioning.
Most data center technicians have long-time work schedules; they are work 10-12 hours long on nights, weekends, and holidays. They are work in server rooms where usual machine noise or construction noise is present.
Data technicians give support to any business’s core operations. Data center technicians are working with computer data servers and hardware networking systems.
1. What Does a Data Center Technicians do?
A Data Center technicians have managed the Functions of data upgrading hardware and software/operating systems and managing data distribution and storage, backup, emergency planning, and some technical support.
The Data Server Technicians identify and fix faults in a computer network system. The skills like Troubleshooting, Hardware Repair, Inventory Tools Management, Network Equipment, and Devices will help data center technicians to excel in the field of Computer Networking System.
They provide physical security around the digital data center. Data Technician runs network cables and improves security around the data servers.
2. Data Center Technician Salary
The average salary of a Data Center Technician is $50,000 per year in the United States (USA). Cisco, Amazon, Google are paying a good salary for Data Center Technicians. In the last three years, the data center technician job tenure is less than 12 months (1 year), as per indeed, glass door employees and user analysis.
- Cisco Data Center Technician salary: $125,451 per year
- CoreSite Data Center Technician salary: $114,000 per year
- Amazon Data Center Technician salary: $65,009 per year
3. Data Center Technician Responsibilities
The data center technicians focus on providing the necessary tech support (IT services) at data centers.
- Perform Preventative Maintenance
- Server Management and Repair
- Monitor System Processes
- Cross-Collaborate to Protect Data
- Technical Support and Education
4. Data Center Technician Skills and Qualifications
The Data Center Technician must have an associate or bachelor’s degree in a technical field of a computer network system.
- Hardware Repair
- Network Equipment and Devices
- IT Computer Networking
- Troubleshooting Skills
- Physical Requirements
- Inventory Tools Management
- Communication Skills
- Technical Writing Skills
5. Data Center Technicians Education Requirements
- CCNA Data Center (Cisco Certified Network Associate Data Center)
- CCNP Data Center (Cisco Certified Network Professional Data Center)
- JNCIP-DC (Juniper Networks Certified Professional Data Center)
- VCE-CIAE (VCE Converged Infrastructure Administration Engineer)
- VCP6-DCV (VMware Certified Professional 6 – Data Center Virtualization)